Thursday, October 16, 2008

Living Goddess of Nepal

This time I’m going to share something from my country. It’s about a living goddess of Nepal. Nepal is the land of many gods and goddess. The most unique thing is that there is a living goddess called Kumari Devi, a holy young girl. The custom of worshipping a young girl is an old Hindu-Buddhist ritual that still continues in Nepal. Every September we have this festival named Indra Jatra. On that day the living goddess is decorated magnificently and put on view in a religious procession through parts of the Nepalese Capital in a palanquin. It is a grand festival attended by thousands of people, who come to see the living goddess and seek her blessings.
The selection of the Living Goddess is a complicated tantric ritual. According to the traditions of Vajrayana sect of Mahayana Buddhism, girls in the age-group of 4-7 year who belong to the Sakya community are screened on the basis of their 32 attributes of perfection, including color of eyes, shape of teeth and even voice quality. Her horoscope must also be appropriate. They are made to confront a goddess in the darkened room. The sight of the Buffalo heads scattered around, the demon- like masked dancers, the terrifying noises they encounter scare some of these innocent babies. The real goddess is unlikely to be frightened, so the one who is calm and collected throughout the tests is the only girl who is entitled to sit on the podium for worship as the Living Goddess. After the ceremonies, the spirit of the goddess is said to enter her body. Then she chooses items of clothing and decoration worn by her predecessor and is given the title of Kumari Devi, who is worshipped on all religious occasions. She lives in a place called ‘Kumari Ghar’, at Kathmandu’s Hanumandhoka palace square. It’s a beautifully decorated house where the living goddess performs her daily rituals.
The Kumari’s godhood comes to an end with her first menstruation, because it is believed that on reaching teenage years the Kumari turns human. Even a minor cut or bleeding can render her invalid for worship, and the search for the new goddess has to begin.
Well that’s all for now. I will talk more about Vajrayana sect of Mahayana Buddhism in my next blog.

2 comments:

kyoko said...

Hey Avi!!
I read about the Kumali in a japanese news.
I think it's really interesting. I asked Aashta a little bit about it.
Also I'm looking forward to your new post because I'm taking world religions class, and lot's of Japanese people are Mahayana Buddhism.

Joyce Johnson said...

So if I understand it correctly The Living Goddess is worshiped for a number of years as long as she doesn't cut herself, until she matures. You also say that this is an old Hindu-Buddhist ritual. Have these two religions blended into one in Nepal? This is new and interesting to me!!