Well this time I’m going to talk about dashain festival because the festival is going on rite now and I miss it a lot. We celebrate this festivel during late September and early October. It is the biggest festival of the year to celebrate for Nepalese people. Dashain is the longest and the most auspicious festival celebrated by Nepalese throughout the country. Dashain lasts for fifteen days and Goddess Durga is worshiped.
Dashain is celebrated because of victory of gods over the demons.Actually the first nine days signify the nine days of battle between goddess Durga and the demon Mahisasur. The tenth day is the day when Mahisasur was killed and the last five days symbolise the celebration of the victory with the blessing of the goddess. Dashain is celebrated with great rejoice, and goddess Durga is worshiped. Every home is cleansed and beautifully decorated, painted as an invitation to the goddess, so that she may visit and bless the house with good fortune. During this time the reunion of distant and nearby relatives occur in every house. People buy new cloths, gifts, luxuries and enormous supplies of temple offering for the gods, as well as foodstuffs for the family feasting. Anywhere you go the scent of 'Vijaya Dashami' is found.I do miss the smell. It’s really a very finer smell we get during the period of Dashain. I hope, someday soon I can get the same finer smell of the festival and celebrate the festival with all my relatives back in Nepal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
hi Avi!
This festival sounds very interesting. I understand that you miss it here a lot. This homecoming week here has no flair and history compared to many festivals in my homecountry too.
see you
Johannes
Oooooooh!! Those traditional holidays are so hard to miss when you are away from your home country. I agree with Johannes that homecoming doesn't hold a candle to the festival you are describing. It reminds me of our Christmas celebration. That and Thanksgiving are the top holidays for me!
Can your family at least send you pictures or maybe skype with you?
wow.. I'm learning a new festival. Hope to heard more about your country's festival.
Post a Comment